I can’t believe the year is coming to an end. It seems like 2018 just started and yet, another year is on the way. I can honestly say that 2018 was “The Year of the Glow Up” for me. All it took was a little push to get me going and I haven’t taken a breather since then. As this year wraps up, I’m just now starting to cut myself some slack. This hiatus has given me time to reflect on my year and here’s what I’ve learned about myself:
- I’m strong. I used to always tell people that there was no way I could handle certain things without having a mental breakdown. Fortunately, I handled every negative aspect of my life with grace this year. When I said this year was going to be all about me, I meant it. There was nothing or no one that could stand in my way. No matter who tried to break me, I always found a way to be the bigger person, get back up, and keep it moving. It feels good to be able to have this type of control over my life. I’ve been lacking it for some time now and I’m finally getting back to the real me. I survived through the storm that was my life and at this point I know that there isn’t anything that I can’t withstand.
- I’m intelligent. I don’t mean book smart either. I’ve started doing a lot of self-teaching; something that we lack in today’s society. Over the year, I’ve taught myself skillsets, researched how to become the best version of myself, learned how to get all aspects of my life in order, and understood the meaning of maturing with a side of professionalism. I’ve reached the point where I’m ready to step foot into furthering my career, education, and reputation.
- I’m nurturing. Not only to others but, to myself as well. Self-love and self-care played big roles in my growth this past year. I don’t think I could’ve gotten as far as I have mentally without incorporating these ideas in my daily life. The more I started to love myself, the less negativity and pain I let into my life. The more I started to take care of myself, the less I dealt with depression and anxiety. Nurture your body, mind, and soul; see just how far YOU can take YOU.
- I possess unconditional love. Regardless of who has hurt me and how, I’m always willing to forgive those who ask for forgiveness. I find myself being there for people who others would say don’t deserve my sympathy or comfort. Not because I’m naïve, not because I’m gullible, not because I’m too vulnerable; because I have felt what it’s like to feel as though you have nothing and/or no one. We are human and we all make mistakes. There’s no reason to judge others or exile them because they have done just that; made a mistake. While we may see the actions of others as intentional, we must understand that people grow differently. This year, I’ve stopped shutting people out and instead I’ve started killing them with kindness. Love conquers any and every thing. Besides, hatred is taking the easy way out and I like a challenge.
- I’m humble. Though I’ve grown, I’m not perfect and that’s not what I strive to be. I aspire to be the best version of me that is possible. I know that mistakes will continuously be made. It’s the lessons that stem from them that matters most. At no point in my life have I put myself on a higher pedestal than others. Very often do I even realize how amazing I am. I’m always putting others before me and letting them shine. I guess it’s the altruism in me. I have the ability to let my light shine without dimming the lights of others.
I’m strutting into the new year as fierce as ever. My growth has been nothing short of amazing and I’m only allowing myself to get better. 2018 was dedicated to my mental, emotional, and financial stability. 2019 will be dedicated to my physical and spiritual wellbeing. I’m ready for a new set of goals, new challenges, and new life lessons.
It’s been real 2018!